I rely heavily on many things to make housework less of a burden (to me housework is a necessary but hated task). I have a washing machine to wash my clothes, a tumble dryer to dry them, a vacuum cleaner to clean my carpets and an automatic sensor bin so I don't have to touch it. Dishwashers are becoming more and more popular and I absolutely love mine because of all the household cleaning tasks washing dishes is my absolute nemesis. The one thing most people do not think about is cleaning their dishwasher!
Many newer model are self cleaning to some degree but still need a little bit of tlc. My dishwasher is an older model so I like to clean it quite regularly (anything to make sure it keeps working). Bacteria can build up, and when it does, you need to get rid of it so your dishes are truly clean. If you live in a hard water area you may need to clean it more often than in a soft water area. Hard water can cause limescale to build up on the coils that heat the water and dry your dishes and this could shorten the life span of your dishwasher.
7 Steps to a cleaner dishwasher.
Just like your kitchen sink, giving your dishwasher a good cleaning keeps it from being a deceptively dirty spot. The following steps use natural ingredients and after a single dishwasher cycle with absolutely no scrubbing the job is complete.
- Empty your dishwasher.
- Remove or pull out the lower dish rack as far as possible and locate the drain.Clean around it, removing the filter and thoroughly washing.
- Check all the spinning arms, and clear holes of debris or buildup with a paper towel.
- Place one cup of plain white distilled vinegar in a container on the bottom rack of the dishwasher. Pour a half-cup of baking soda into a small dish and place on the top rack.
- Run the dishwasher, and let the vinegar and baking soda work their magic. Vinegar is naturally antibacterial and will break up any buildup while cleaning. Baking soda helps break up hard water deposits and works together with the vinegar to super clean the inside of your dishwasher.
- Once the dishwasher has run through the cycle, leave it closed for 20 minutes to continue to steam clean.
- Now open the dishwasher, and wipe the inside with a paper towel or soft sponge.
Now along with being shiny clean, your dishwasher will work wonders on your dishes! Add cleaning your dishwasher to your cleaning routine and your dishes (and dishwasher) will thank you.